Steel is used in a number of building applications regularly, but what about as the material for your own house? There are several reasons to consider steel as the main material for your home. Here we list 12 important advantages steel has over wood, stone, or concrete.
1. Steel is light but strong. Steel building has the highest strength to weight ratio of any building material.
2. Steel allows flexibility in application. It also provides consistent material quality; because it is produced in strict accordance with national (at least in our countries) standards, there is no regional variance in quality. Metal building is inorganic; it will not rot, split, crack or creep. And, as you might expect, it is fire resistant, does not burn and will not contribute fuel to the spread of fire.
3. Building layouts can be easily custom-tailored. You design them, the modular or custom steel building gets manufactured and delivered, they get set up, and there you have the building.
4. Very large spans can be achieved because metal building is very strong.
5. Production of steel assures accuracy and quality.
6. Delivery and site progress are easier to control.
7. Only simple site assembly is needed. There is a simplified foundation construction. It provides for straight walls, square corners, and allows doors to open and close properly.
8. Steel construction is fast. There is almost no “wet” work.
9. Design works better during seismic conditions.
10. Steel is environmentally friendly. Metal building construction also produces less scrap and waste (2% for steel vs. 15-20% for wood), and scrap is 100% recyclable.
11. No need for fire parapets
12. Easily disassembled for repairs/alterations/relocation Vandal resistant.
13. The aging process of steel constructions of modulars is slower and the resale value is therefore enhanced in some ways.